Monday, February 8, 2010

Yukon Quest

This weekend Barry and I went to the Yukon Quest Dog Sled Race. This race starts in Fairbanks on the even years and ends in Whitehorse. Then on the odd years it starts in Whitehorse and ends in Fairbanks. The race is a 1,000 miles. The start line was on the frozen river in town... this was the coolest part! Standing on a frozen river was a weird feeling! The mushing teams were so close to us, if we wanted to, we could have reached out and touched the dogs as they went my. Don't let dog sledding movies fool you-- the dogs that pull the sleds are not big and muscular like in the movies. These dogs were much smaller than you would think!

1 comment:

  1. The moose sighting was awesome! I showed it to a kid and he said, "is that a horse?"....I can't believe how BIG they are! Thanks for sharing!Keep posting pics...it's beautiful there....The dog sled race was very interesting...can't believe how they race through the people...looks like the whole town came out to cheer them on!

    ReplyDelete