Tuesday, January 3, 2012

DONT GET SCAMMED!

Today I received a phone call from a number I didn't know. I usually don't answer calls from numbers I don't know, but I knew it was getting close to time for Barry to call and I thought it might be him.

When the voice on the other end answered, it was one of those automated things... She said "you've been selected to take our survey on the national debt crisis and will be awarded a cruise!"I normally don't even listen long enough to hear anything these telemarketers have to say... But when she said cruise... My ears perked up only because Barry and I are planning a vacation for when he come home and I was thinking it sure would be  nice to get a free vacation!In the back of my mind I was thinking....this is verrrry interesting...giving away free stuff by taking a survey on the DEBT crisis. 

But I took the survey anyway. After the survey was over I was transferred to a "representative". She told me she was a certified Carnival Cruise Agent  and all about how fabulous this cruise ship was. It was quite convincing too, until she got to the part that she would need my credit card information to charge the port taxes. I started getting really suspicious about the situation. I told her I was beginning to think this was a scam. She insisted that her ship was a real ship and that the government checked all ports.

Red flag! Red flag! She was avoiding all my questions.

Shortly after this, I thanked her for her time and hung up. I mean this woman has a great scam going on. She has a website, phone number, pictures, email address....I wanted to make sure i hadn't let some fabulous offer pass me by so I called Carnival Cruise lines. Funny thing, there was no one at their company by this woman's name nor do they have any knowledge of a survey being run to win free cruises.

So be careful.  Don't get tricked into any kind of cruise scam! I reported the scam to a government agency that deals with scams this afternoon. Pass this along to help others from getting scammed!

No comments:

Post a Comment