Saturday, September 10, 2011

I am now

I am now the person who's life has been changed forever.
I am now the person who cannot believe they are really a parent.
I am now the person who's whole life revolves around an 11 pound 11 ounce little boy.
I am now the person who walks around Wal-Mart just to get out of the house... oh wait... I've always been that person! 
I am now the person who stays in Barnes & Noble for an hour and half just so my baby can get a good nap.
I am now the person who avoids eye contact with people who have children with them in the grocery store, so they don't want to see "the baby" because they probably have germs. 
I am now the person who changes diapers in the backseat of my car... in the rain.
I am now the person who nurses their baby in the car, on the side of the road, even though the house is just 2 minutes away.
I am now the person who tip-toes across the kitchen so I don't wake the baby.
I am now the person who tears up looking at my baby, because I think he is the most precious child I've ever seen.
I am now the person that is thinking mean things about the telemarketer that calls during nap time.
I am now the person who loves their husband even more now that he is a daddy.
I am now the person who secretly is thinking please don't touch my baby with your probably un-washed hands. 
I am now the person who drives with one hand on the steering wheel and one in the backseat holding a pacie in a baby's mouth.
I am now the person who wipes spit up on my jeans... and goes in public in them.
I am now the person who talks on the phone about how many poopy diapers my baby has had today. 
I am now the person who leaves their buggy beside their car because I don't want to leave my baby in the car for even 2 seconds alone. 
I am now the person who cannot remember who I was before I had a child of my own. 
I am now the person who knows being a mother is what I was meant to be. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this. I still can't believe I find myself wiping spit up on me and not caring much either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and may have to 'borrow' this idea for a post of my own. It made me think about how we really aren't ever the same again after we have a child, whether by birth or adoption. With each stage, this prose changes. So I encourage you to write an "I am now" for each of the many wonderfully maddening beautiful stages of motherhood that you experience along the way. What a poignant tribute you will have forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now a "nona" because of you....and now you know how much I love you!

    ReplyDelete