The Road to Hana
In all of the Maui tourist brochures one of the top 10 things to do was go on the "Road to Hana". So of course, we went on the road to Hana. They say the real adventure of Hana is the "getting there". Now don't get me wrong, the "getting there" part was pretty cool. In Maui, there are terrains from all over there world on this one island. So we saw desert to rain forest. The picture below are trees in one part of the trip. We never found the name of the trees but I called them "Rainbow Trees". I thought they looked like something off of the movie Fern Gully.The bark looked like it had been painted with pastel colored paint. Pretty cool huh?
The first stop on the list was a 70 foot waterfall. I had read all about it... it is one of the most beautiful waterfalls on all of the islands and it is surrounded by the rain forest. The pamphlets said "after an easy hike up the trail you will see the waterfall". I was so pumped! So we started walking... and walking.... Apparently, the "easy hike" wasnt quite as "easy" as we had dressed for.
The path of this "easy hike" was covered in big roots all the way up. We both wore flip flops and I had on this cute outfit from J Crew. So needless to say I wasn't quite dressed for the occasion. But we continued to keep walking, and walking... The whole time Barry was being Mr. Debbie Doubter asking if I was sure there was a water fall on this trail. Of course I was postive there was a waterfall. I had just read the pamphlet on it! We got to a clearing in the trail and saw this sign..
I was hoping Mr. Debbie Doubter would some how miss this sign... but of course he saw it! We had gotten to the end of the trail and had seen NO waterfall. We looked all around us, and sure enough, no waterfall! So... with great disappointment, we took our hot and sweaty selves back to the car to re-read that pamphlet that talked so positively about this "massive waterfall". Sometimes, when I get really excited while reading I skip over details. Isn't that the point of skim reading? Just to get the facts, not necessarily all the details. Well apparently, I skipped a detail that was more of a fact than just a little detail.... It stated, " when it has not being raining, the waterfall may not be visible." OPPS! Guess I missed that! Even if I had read that, how was I suppose to know that Maui is in a freak drought. After this tiny, little mistake, we ended the road to Hana and decided to go back and come again when we were more properly dressed to hike.
Saturday, June 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
this is hysterical!!
ReplyDelete